Israac Somali Community Association (Israac) has been running for more than 30 years, based at the Vestry Hall on Cemetery Road, S11.
The main aims of Israac are to:
- Improve the education of all Somalis, especially the youth, by encouraging creative thinking for active learning and by disseminating information about the performance of Somali children in schools.
- Raise the skills and confidence of individuals to attain their full potential by creating opportunities in the field of employment, training and education.
- Promote positive integration and foster ways of social cohesiveness among members of the Somali community by raising and broadening involvement in society in general.
- Develop and maintain a strong cultural identity at the same time as respecting the cultural, religious and political beliefs of others.
- Establish a resource centre of information about services, projects and opportunities in order to inform the community about education, training, employment and childcare on offer.
- Improve its capacity building role by improving management styles and skills and by enabling community participation in all aspects of social and economic regeneration in the city.